Effective Date: October 21, 2019
The Deepfake Detection Challenge is a collaboration between Facebook, the Partnership on AI, Microsoft, Amazon and academics from Cornell Tech, MIT, University of Oxford, UC Berkeley, University of Maryland, College Park, and University of Albany-SUNY. The aim of this challenge is to invite people around the world to help build better detection tools to combat misinformation generated by new technologies such as deepfakes, where realistic AI-generated videos show real people doing and saying fictional things.
By entering into the Deepfake Detection Challenge, you accept and agree to be bound by these Terms as well as the Data Policy and additional applicable terms and conditions, e.g. Competition Rules.
We administer the Deepfake Detection Challenge and the DFDC Website, and in exchange for your participation in the Deepfake Detection Challenge, we ask that you make the following commitments:
- You are at least eighteen (18) years old (or over the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence);
- If you are participating in the Deepfake Detection Challenge on behalf of a group of individuals, you are each at least eighteen (18) years old (or over the age of majority in each of the jurisdictions of residence); and
- You are submitting information and models for the Deepfake Detection Challenge which belong to you and are a result of your own work.
You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Deepfake Detection Challenge to take any action that could harm us or any third party, interfere with the operation of the DFDC Website, or use the DFDC Website in a manner that violates any applicable laws or regulations. For example, and without limitation, you may not:
- do or share anything that breaches these Terms or other applicable terms;
- upload viruses or malicious code or do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working or appearance of the DFDC Website or of our services or products;
- access or collect data from the DFDC Website using automated means (without our prior permission) or attempt to access data you do not have permission to access;
- submit content that infringes on the copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property rights of any third party, are false, misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, hateful, or sexually-explicit, violate a third party’s right to privacy or publicity, or degrade others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification; and
- engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any person from using or enjoying the DFDC Website or that, in our sole judgment, exposes us or any of our users, affiliates, or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type.
Intellectual Property Rights
Other than those materials provided by the organizers of the Deepfake Detection Challenge, all aspects of entries in the Deepfake Detection Challenge must be solely owned by or licensed to, the entrant. All third-party content and models not owned by or licensed to the entrant is prohibited. Failure to timely provide adequate proof of ownership or sufficient license rights in any content or models included in the submission may result in the entrant being disqualified and related entry deemed void.
The DFDC Website is protected under copyright law in the United States. All copyrights in the DFDC Website are owned by us or our third-party licensors. Except for content that you have posted on the DFDC Website that is consistent with these Terms, you may not publish, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, edit, adapt, modify, or otherwise exploit any part of the DFDC Website without our written consent. We respect intellectual property rights. If you believe in good faith that your work has been reproduced or is accessible on the DFDC Website in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our designated agent with the following information in writing:
- identification of the copyrighted work or a representative list of copyrighted works claimed to have been infringed;
- identification of the allegedly infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- your name, address and a daytime telephone number, and an email address if available, so that we may contact you if necessary;
- a statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- a statement that you have a good faith belief that the use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Our designated agent may be reached by contacting:Facebook Designated Agent, Facebook, Inc.
1601 Willow Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Upon receipt of a valid notice of claimed infringement (or any statement in conformance with 17 U.S.C. § 512(c)(3)), we will expeditiously remove or disable access to the allegedly infringing content. We will terminate the privileges of users who repeatedly infringe copyright.
Limitation of Liabilities
The DFDC Website is provided “as is” without warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, non-infringement, or other violation of rights. We do not warrant the adequacy, currency, accuracy, likely results, or completeness of the DFDC Website or any third-party sites linked to or from the DFDC Website, or that the functions provided will be uninterrupted, virus, or error-free. We expressly disclaim any liability for any errors or omissions in the content included on the DFDC Website or any third-party sites linked to or from the DFDC Website. Some jurisdictions may not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so some of the above exclusions may not apply to you.
You agree that your access to and use of the DFDC Website will be governed by and will be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California without regard to principles of conflicts of laws. For any claim, cause of action, or dispute you have against us that arises out of or relates to these Terms, you agree that it will be resolved exclusively in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California or a state court located in San Mateo County.